The Scarlet Paper
A Woman is a Dangerous Thing To Waste...
Wednesday, April 14, 2004

There is a really great article on Commondreams.org that discusses the President's press conference in a realistic way without all of the emotion of liberals v.s. the CCC (Christian Capitalist Crusaders) of which W. is their big-haired, smirking, deer-caught-in-headlights, posterboy. I think everyone should check it out : A Scary Performance and A Signal for Slaughter

I, of course, watched the press conference and screamed angry retorts at the television while my neighbors probably cursed the day I moved in. What I think was one of the most important facts to come out of the press conference was the fact that mercenary forces, or "private security contractors," are the third largest forces outside of the US and Britain in Iraq. That makes it seem like less of a coalition, doesn't it? The coalition is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Japan, Italy, Russia, Spain, The Philippines, Korea-they don't want to be there. They want to pull out but now they can't because of all the hostages that are being taken. Now they can't pull out because they will look weak and they can't have let terrorists dictate to them and blah blah blah.

I understand it. I just wish the rest of the world would be more vocal in their opposition to the way the occupation is being handled. As W. put it last night in his press conference, "I wouldn't want to be occupied either!" With his trademark smirk and the stunned silence of the journalists because as we all noticed, there was no red brick wall behind him, this was not The Improv, and he was not Jerry Seinfeld. I think the entire press conference was a joke. It was obvious that W. had a selected list of reporters he could ask questions from. They asked him relatively neutral questions except for the last reporter who basically asked him if he failed at communicating to the American people or in other words, do you think you are a fucking moron and don't know how to speak English? W. appeared to me to get angry at this and then proceeded to contradict himself and not answer the question. I wonder if Cheney was in a room somewhere with a technician waiting to defibrillate and jump start his pacemaker as soon as W. started to mention "The Almighty."

He also said there were people in the world that didn't believe that "brown people" could accept democracy and he didn't believe that was right. Um, W. those are your people. In the same evening he proceeded to knock the "false ideology" of the fighters in Iraq. Would that be the nationalism they are exhibiting or Islam? It is incredibly frustrating to have a president for my country that confirms to the world that he should be running the relay race in the Special Olympics. He couldn't even name one thing, ONE THING, that he did wrong in his presidency. The Center for American Progress has a poll where you can vote to help President Bush decide what his biggest mistake was.
President Bush Needs Your Help

Also, Human Rights Watch is actually performing an investigation into the amount of force being used in Fallujah with all of the Iraqi civilians killed this week, and since most reports state that it was women, children and the elderly being killed, there was probably a lot of excessive violence used. Good for Human Rights Watch! They will of course face heavy opposition from our government but I hope it doesn't deter them from this incredibly important task. This government is all about accountability, as we have seen.

Under each of my postings is a space where you can provide comments or you can e-mail me at Scarlet Pimp.

Someone submitted a comment:
"I would just like to say- that I applaud you voicing your opinion- however, it would be better if you were to educate yourself further on the topics in which you speak of. Depending on a radio show which is in many ways a biased one is not the way in which you should form opinions. I myself am an independent who tends to vote for democrats. So please don't get the impression I have an agenda- I don't. Just don't depend on one side of the spectrum to inform you-- look at both and use your OWN mind."

First, thank you very much for leaving a comment. I love the feedback whether it is positive or negative. I do have to say that I am educating myself before I speak and I do take in as many sources as I can. I will read many versions of a story before I comment about it. If I happen to quote Air America, that doesn't mean they are my only source of information. I do listen to them frequently, as I have written, because I find that they confirm what I have already discovered for myself. Are they biased? Of course. They have a specific agenda and that is to get W. out of office. However, I happen to agree with that agenda!

I have actually watched The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity and Colmes, and other shows that portray the views of "the right" and I find that not a lot of it is based in fact. It is based in opinion without allowing for the opportunity for the token guest from "the left" to have a chance at rebuttal. On Air America, only on the O'Franken Factor have they given someone from the right a chance to back up some of the information that is discussed on conservative shows like Rush Limbaugh's show. That can be a problem and I do feel there should be more of a forum where all views can come together to discuss issues in a civilized and respectful way. Maybe that is too much to ask for from either side.

At all times I am using my OWN mind, (Your use of capitals, not mine) even if it might not seem that way because at the moment there are a lot of people voicing the same anti-bush, anti-war statement. That is significant in an era where freedom of speech is such an issue. I appreciate your encouragement of my voicing my opinion and I encourage you to keep doing the same.


posted at # 9:45 PM by Deanne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

"A woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."- Eleanor Roosevelt

"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform 1 million realities."- Maya Angelou

"We can do no great things-only small things with great love."- Mother Teresa

"You must be the change you wish to see in this world."-Mohandas Gandhi

"Fear not those who argue but those who dodge." - Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant."- Helen Keller

"I am not afraid of the pen, or the scaffold, or the sword. I will tell the truth wherever I please." - Mother Jones

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman."- Virginia Woolf

"They don't negotiate with terrorists, they invest in them!" - Randi Rhodes

"I won't be disillusioned because I was never illusioned." - Milton Mayer




Archives

  • 03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
  • 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
  • 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
  • 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
  • 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
  • 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
  • 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
  • 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
  • 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
  • 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
  • 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
  • 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
  • 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
  • 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
  • 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
  • 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
  • 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
  • 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
  • 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
  • 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
  • 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
  • 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007



  • Great Links

    TrueMajority.com
    LoveIsLoveIsLove.com
    Jonathan Cainer Astrology
    Artivista.org
    The Onion
    MoveOn.Org
    MichaelMoore.com
    ACLU
    WorkingforChange.com
    Fair.org
    The Village Voice
    TomPaine.com
    CommonDreams.org
    TheModernWorld.com
    Alternet.com
    InTheseTimes.com


    Search:
    Keywords:
    In Association with Amazon.com



    Credits

    design by maystar
    powered by blogger
    Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise