The Scarlet Paper
A Woman is a Dangerous Thing To Waste...
Friday, November 12, 2004

There is a great little website with a rant that warms my northern, liberal heart called Fuck The South. It is definitely worth checking out.

This is not the first time since the election that I am hearing talk of letting the south go their merry way. It has been in the air, a sort of revolutionary whisper campaign that Karl Rove would be proud of if he were on the side of progressives. I don't know how I would feel about a succession, but I know how I would feel about another civil war. I'm not fighting! I do think change is happening and we are living a very important period in history. These are the moments that children are going to be studying in school or the moments that teachers are going to be forced not to talk about to their students. With the kind of politics that are at play making our country's discourse hang in the balance, well, I never can tell. I think it is these moments that make you absolutely sure who you are as a person and what you believe in OR you resign yourself to letting other people think for you.

In other news, Yasser Arafat died. What did he die of? Reports vary from cancer to a brain aneurysm to poison. Who knows. It is still too early for me to comment on how I feel about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. I fear a power vacuum because Arafat didn't name someone to take his place and that can only mean truly bad things. Look how well the power vacuum worked in Iraq? I worry what Sharon will do because I don't think he is the right man to represent and lead the Israeli people. He has been able to push his right wing agenda because of the fear of terrorism among his people, kind of like another president I know.

Tony Blair flew all the way from England and boy are his arms tired, just to discuss the Middle East with W.
Blair, Bush Meet to Discuss Mideast Peace. This seems to be a bit problematic for me. Two white men, leaders of major western nation states, get together to discuss what THEY are going to do with the Middle East situation. I know it is important to think of strategies but it just seems to me that talking about what you are going to do with other nations while they are not there reminds me of how parents talk about their children without acknowledging their presence. Is this some of what frustrates the other nations of the Middle East? The reason why there is so much trouble in Israel is because Britain abandoned ship and allowed an unfair division of land amongst the Palestinian and Jewish people after the Holocaust. People were displaced and things keep getting more and more ugly as the years go by. I am not saying that the two sides don't need a mediator, I am just wondering how effective the United States and Britain would be in doing the job. Especially with all of the other troubles they are facing both internally and externally.

Finally, if I hear one more newspaper or politician jubilantly call Alberto Gonzales a "Hispanic Success Story" I may scream. This is a very bad man that was appointed to be the next attorney general because Ashcroft resigned so that he could devote more time to his singing career. I don't understand how any decent person can call this man a success because in my opinion, he has failed at being a person. If you need proof, look at his resume. He was an attorney for Enron, a company that lied, cheated, and stole from their employees and helped to ruin California's economy, and he gave the okay to torture prisoners at Abu Ghraib.
Gonzales Nomination Draws Cautions, Concerns of Rights Groups.
What does that tell the rest of the world about our country when we go around bragging about our values and the president says how disgusted he is about the whole Iraqi prison mess. Why then appoint a man that has the nerve to call the Geneva Convention "quaint" and argue that it doesn't apply? Why? Because we are America, stop asking questions, that's why.
There are people that would love to take everything this country was founded on and reinterpret it, change it and in a Stalinistic way, rewrite history so that the truth never existed. This man is one of the bad guys. I don't give a flying fuck if he grew up in a two room house with no water as the son of migrant workers. Poverty doesn't make you a good person. Ethics and compassion do. He has none. He looks at pictures of the prisoners in Iraq and see the sexual, depraved torture as something that is allowable because he defines torture as "equivalent in intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death”, so therefore sexual humiliation is not torture, it's okay, chill out. He sees laws on civil liberties and human rights and devotes his energy to finding ways around them. He doesn't represent what this country is about, no matter what the polls tell me, I know my country. He is just Bush's homeboy. This is not the man I want protecting my civil liberties. When did the position of Attorney General become about denying civil liberties instead of protecting them and the people of the United States of America?
This is bullshit.

posted at # 6:21 AM by Deanne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

"A woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."- Eleanor Roosevelt

"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform 1 million realities."- Maya Angelou

"We can do no great things-only small things with great love."- Mother Teresa

"You must be the change you wish to see in this world."-Mohandas Gandhi

"Fear not those who argue but those who dodge." - Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

"People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant."- Helen Keller

"I am not afraid of the pen, or the scaffold, or the sword. I will tell the truth wherever I please." - Mother Jones

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman."- Virginia Woolf

"They don't negotiate with terrorists, they invest in them!" - Randi Rhodes

"I won't be disillusioned because I was never illusioned." - Milton Mayer




Archives

  • 03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
  • 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
  • 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
  • 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
  • 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
  • 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
  • 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
  • 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
  • 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
  • 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
  • 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
  • 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
  • 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
  • 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
  • 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
  • 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
  • 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
  • 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
  • 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
  • 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
  • 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
  • 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007



  • Great Links

    TrueMajority.com
    LoveIsLoveIsLove.com
    Jonathan Cainer Astrology
    Artivista.org
    The Onion
    MoveOn.Org
    MichaelMoore.com
    ACLU
    WorkingforChange.com
    Fair.org
    The Village Voice
    TomPaine.com
    CommonDreams.org
    TheModernWorld.com
    Alternet.com
    InTheseTimes.com


    Search:
    Keywords:
    In Association with Amazon.com



    Credits

    design by maystar
    powered by blogger
    Blogarama - The Blog Directory Listed on Blogwise